.

Monday, 18 March 2013

The Safety of Cosmetics

I know it's american, and a few years old, but I don't know that much has changed! I found this video today and even my kids enjoyed watching it with me.



The lack of choices in safe cosmetics available to us is still incredibly frustrating. Even 'natural' companies like 'Lush Cosmetics' are still unable to offer me a shampoo that doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate.

The obvious and frugal answer to the problem is to make your own cosmetics wherever possible, but there are some companies out there offering really good, truly safe cosmetics, but they aren't on the high street and you have to be willing to search them out, HandmadeNaturals and Dr Bronner for example produce lots of chemical free products that I would be happy to use on my family.

In the meantime, for those of us on a budget, here are some great tutorial links for how to make your own cheap and safe cosmetics. It's not exhaustive, but it's a good start to help you cut back on your families toxic load. You'll notice many of the products use the same ingredients in different ratios. This is great news, because you can bulk buy a few ingredients and they go really far!

photo credit
Body Butter
Cleansers
Conditioners
Deodorant
Diaper Cream
Exfoliators
Moisturiser
no 'poo' 
Pore Strips
Shampoos
Shaving foam
Sun lotion
Toner
Toothpaste

Don't overwhelm yourself. Just pick one thing to change. Once you've formed a habit, try something new!

If you are anything like me you will have a lot of fun experimenting with different recipes and finding what works for your body.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article! That is the type of info that are supposed to be
shared around the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this put up upper!
Come on over and visit my web site . Thanks =)

Also visit my web-site; best detox

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India