.

Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Nourishing Chocolate Soup

It's really cold today.

Despite it being 9:05am and having been up for over three hours I still have not opened the curtains downstairs. They are just so insulating and we have single glazing.

I was trying to create something warming, delicious and also nutritious for my children's breakfast this morning and I came up with, what I modestly believe to be, the perfect solution.

Chocolate soup.

Is there anyone out there who wouldn't serve chocolate soup to their family on a cold day? I pity your family. Unless you are my friend Sarah who's son, for some inexplicable reason, doesn't like chocolate. Strange child.

Still, chocolate soup for the rest of us. I was inspired by the 'Chocolat con Churros' I enjoyed so much in California and on honeymoon.
chocolat con churros
 Here's what you need and if you click on an ingredient it will tell you a full list of why it's good for you and your little ones:

125g grass fed butter melted over a low heat - tonnes of essential vitamins and fats*
4 large pastured eggs - vitamins, fats* and proteins
100ml double cream (preferably raw) - see butter :-)
8 heaped tbsp organic cocoa - magnesium, zinc, iron and antioxidants
4 tbsp honey - antibacterial, antifungal and it tastes good

Melt your butter and stir in the honey, cream and cocoa powder. Do not let it boil - just warm it.
Whip together eggs and then slowly pour in the warm ingredients whilst mixing. I think the heat from the other ingredients cooks the eggs sufficiently, but if you are concerned you could always return it to a low heat (whilst stirring) for a few minutes.

It's drinkable immediately, as it's only warm, not hot, but the kids like to dip fruit in it first. I recommend bananas.

Not only is this deliciously rich and warming, but because of the protein content, my children will stay full and won't start nagging me for snacks before lunch.

Win.



*for those of you worried about my cholesterol levels (mum) these are good fats. They will actual help protect me from heart disease!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India