.

Thursday, 28 February 2013

My Best Beef and Mushroom Soup


Before you think I'm boasting, I'm not saying this is the best beef and mushroom soup in the world, just that it's my personal best at making this soup. I think I'd have to taste a lot more soups before I could categorically say none of the soups anywhere in the world were as good as mine. It might be true though...



Matt and I LOVED this soup.

The bonus is that it's super simple to make too.

Firstly you need some beef stock. This was the easy part as I just used the left over bones from our roast this week. Let it simmer in a lot of water in your slow cooker for a day or two with some vegetable off cuts and a little vinegar (which helps to leach mineral from the bones).

*Top Tip* Everytime you peel veg or chop the bottom of an onion or celery, don't compost that stuff straight away! You could plant and regrow it, or you can keep a little ziplock bag in the freezer and add all this stuff. That way, when you come to make stock you can chuck it all in and you don't have to waste half a carrot/onion etc...

Once you have strained the bones and peelings out of your stock (now you can compost those peels!) pour 6 cups of stock into a food processor (or pan if you are lucky enough to have a stick blender). You can freeze the rest.

In another pan fry one large onion, two carrots and two cloves of garlic (chopped up) in butter until soft, then toss them in your broth. Add some more butter (like loads. I use three or four tablespoons) and fry a whole punnet of mushrooms. My punnet was 350g so use that as a measurement guide if you buy loose ones. Finally add two handfuls of curly kale, just because I happened to have an abundance in my freezer.

Put the mushrooms and the kale in the blender and blend away until everything is smooth.

Finally, and here is the secret my friends... Maldon Smoked Sea Salt.

Oh yes.

You can find this beautiful substance in tesco for a mere £1.98 but it makes all the difference in the world to the flavour of your cooking. I can (and do) literally eat this from the packet and contrary to popular belief that wouldn't be bad for me (so long as I also drink plenty).

photo credit
Anyway, back to the soup. Add this. Add lots of this.

Serve with a little stir of homemade sour cream.

Here's the ingredients list:

  • 6 cups beef broth
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 onion
  • 1 punnet of mushrooms
  • 2 handfuls of curly kale
  • 2 tbsp sour cream
  • smoked sea salt

If you are looking for more, healthy, slow cooker recipes (as well as the paleo baking bible) also downloaded for free this week a paleo slow cooker cookbook. You can too if you have an amazon account. It's called 26 easy slow cooker paleo recipes.

***Update*** The eBook was free when I purchased it - Amazon are now charging £1.99 :0(
But you can still borrow it for free if you are a prime member :0)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India