.

Saturday, 19 January 2013

Clafoutis and Duck Eggs

Never heard of Clafoutis?

Me neither until recently. My kids are calling this 'pancake cake' because it reminds them of pancakes. It's really delicious. I thought I'd try the recipe I saw on pinterest because we are having a little egg drama in our house.

Basically the fruit and veg box scheme we normally get our eggs from seem to have been having a few problems recently. Firstly I keep getting boxes full of smashed eggs. They are very lovely about refunding me, but the reality is I have to go out to the shops and buy more, which kind of defeats the object of getting them delivered in the first place.

Secondly, over the last few weeks the yolks (which are normally vibrant orange and huge) have become smaller and paler, until last week I made my kids an omelette and they refused to eat it, convinced that it was just white and I'd taken all the yolks out. In fact, I sliced a hard boiled egg and the only thing distinguishing the yolk from the white was texture.

I don't know tonnes about eggs, but I'm assuming that's not a good thing.
photo credit

I'm aware that free-range and organic labels mean little to nothing when bought from a supermarket, but I really want my eggs delivered, and I have this vague idea that ducks are not usually battery farmed (turns out I was wrong!) so I bought some duck eggs from Ocado.

Duck eggs out perform chicken eggs nutritionally in calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, selenium, Vitamins B, A and E, and almost all amino acids, so it's not all bad news. The problem is my kids just don't like them. We've tried boiled, scrambled and omelette (usually household favourites) and I'm not getting anywhere.

Enter Clafoutis. The recipe I used was from Nourished and Nurtured and it goes like this:


  • 10 Tb (1 stick plus 2 Tb) butter
  • 1/3 cup mild-flavored honey (we only used a 1/4 cup, but it depends how sweet you like stuff) 
  • 5 eggs, preferably from pastured hens
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tb sour cream  
  • 1.5 tsp organic vanilla extract
  • 1/2 plus 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch ground nutmeg
  • heaping 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
  • zest from one large lemon (juice the rest with some other fruit and serve whilst your impatient children wait for the cake to bake) 
  • 1/4 cup plus Tb coconut flour (this should be sifted if you are not using an immersion blender)
  • 2 large bananas
Melt the butter and stir in the honey.
Chuck all the other ingredients (save the bananas) into a blender and blend. 
I always like to let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes if there is coconut flour in it. It improves texture.
Whilst that's resting, butter an 8x8 pan and slice bananas to cover the bottom of it. 
Pour over the batter and bake at 160c for 50-60 minutes. 

My kids ate this plain and said it was delicious. I ate mine with a little drop of tangerine oil mixed into a drizzle of cream, even though it was breakfast, and it was divine.

Enjoy. 

This recipe was such a hit that my son started spontaneously thanking God for 'all the delicious things' He'd made within two mouthfuls, despite the fact that we'd only said grace thirty second earlier!! 

Food that inspires worship in the morning? That's a definite parenting win!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What species of duck layed that egg???

Katie-jo Gracie said...

I have no idea! They came from our local market, but it was a long time ago now.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India