.

Monday, 8 October 2012

Eating more Coconut (Muffin Recipe)

According to Natasha Campbell-McBride (author of the GAPS diet which we are using to cure William's autism and my own ridiculously long medical history!) we should be eating more coconut and specifically coconut oil. 

Apparently about 50% of coconuts fatty acids are a substance called lauric acid, which are body converts into a potent anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial substance called monolaurin. It's one of the natural ingredients in human breast milk and if consumed in large enough quantities it can be an effective protection against candida, HIV, Measles, herpes, influenza and many other nasty pathogens.



In an attempt to increase the coconut consumption in our family (they seem to be out of season, Abel & Cole haven't sent us one in a while) I'm resorting to baking coconut filled goodies. I managed to get a good discount on bulk buying some organic, non-hydrogenated coconut oil by buying with friends through our local food co-op, although I'm still currently buying coconut flour from amazon as I haven't managed to get a good bulk price anywhere. If anyone knows of one... let me know!

These muffins have been a total hit with my family, and you can change them up to flavour them differently so that they don't become too boring too.

THE BASIC RECIPE:
3/4 cup of coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
8 eggs
1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup of honey 
1/2 homemade yoghurt
1 teaspoon of homemade vanilla essence
Whizz it all together (except the baking soda) in a blender and then allow to sit for 5-10 minutes (this allows the coconut flour to absorb all the liquid and stops it tasting grainy when it's cooked).

Add the baking soda, blend again quickly, then pour into muffin trays (I use sauce pots because they stand up nicely and make for cute little muffin bites which are more portable for my kids). Be sure to only fill the case 1/2 way, as they really rise well!

Bake at 175c until they look golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. The time will vary depending on your muffin size, but mine take about 20 minutes. 

Now the fun part, customisation! 

The first batch I made were orange and chocolate. I zested and juiced an orange and threw that in with three heaped spoons of cocoa powder.

Batch two were lemon and lime. Again, zest and juice of both in. I was worried about it being too much liquid, but they turned out just fine.

Then we made pumpkin spiced muffins! I added half a cup of pureed pumpkin, a little fresh grated ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and a pinch of ground cloves.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with this recipe. My kids have loved every batch so far. 

So enjoy getting a little more coconut into your diet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kj! Could you make this with butter do you think? Hannah (Haigh) X

Katie-jo Gracie said...

Absolutely. In my opinion that would only make them more delicious... Although less coconutty :0)

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India