.

Friday, 13 January 2012

Dairy Kefir

Some of you may remember that we first encountered Kefir a while back at the beginning of 2011. We stuck with water Kefir, mostly because my son has a passion for all things carbonated, but also because I didn't like the sound of the dairy version.

Milk going off on my kitchen side and then drinking it?

Not nice.

But something in me must have been curious because a few weeks ago I decided to try, and I'm sooooo glad I did.

It's honestly delicious. Somewhere between plain yoghurt and sour cream. I wouldn't drink it on it's own, but it makes the most amazing, creamy, fruit smoothies. It also makes a ranch salad dressing or dip that my children cannot get enough of.

So here's the recipe and it's easy peasy:
  • 1 cup of kefir
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Some herbs

That's literally all there is to it. For the authentic ranch dressing flavour you should use garlic powder, dill weed, onion powder and parsley. I used herbs de provence this week and it was equally good. Just shake it up in a jar and you are good to go.

If you are using dried herbs, make sure you make it up an hour or two before you want to use it and pop it in the fridge. That way they will have a chance to soften up a bit and infuse some flavour.

It honestly is so easy and keeps in the fridge for up to two weeks.

And if you want to know more about the health benefits of Kefir >click here<

4 comments:

The Adventurer said...

Never heard of Kefir before. Looks interesting. Will have to look into this. Thanks for linking up to the NOBH

Katie-jo Gracie said...

It's totally worth a try Adventurer. Grains are very cheap and if you look after them you never have to buy them again. In fact they multiply, so you'll probably end up blessing all your friends and smiley with some too!

Heidi said...

I have never heard of Kefir before. My children love ranch dressing and this sounds wonderful. Thanks for linking up with us over at NOBH!

Katie-jo Gracie said...

*smiley was supposed to say 'family'.
Predictive text :blush:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India